In this article I want to introduce the PQR Cloud Management Schema. The Cloud Management Schema is a vendor independent poster including an explanation which discusses different cloud management solutions from a conceptual perspective.
The Cloud Management Schema is developed by PQR, a system integrator & VMware Premier Partner from The Netherlands. The schema defines three layers in Cloud Management:
- Operational Management – Operational Management is dealing with Performance, Health & State, Alerts & Events and Patches & Updates. Operational Management is focussing on retaining the current infrastructure; assure that the health is ok and only when an exception occurs a signal is send.
- Configuration Management – Configuration Management is dealing with things like Capacity Change Mangement, Mobile Device Management and Provisioning of both OS and applications. Configuration Management ensures that changes to the infrastructure are going in a predictable way.
- Analysis & Orchestration Management – Analysis & Orchestration Management is about Trend Analysis, Task Automation, Decision Automation and Charge/Showback. This area is focussing on the management of available processes.
Other focus areas within Cloud Management are User Environment Management (UEM), Identity & Access Management and Directional Management. UEM is dealing with the challenge to offer a seamless workspace for users. Identity & Access Management is responsible for authentication/authorization. Directional management is dealing with things like Architecture Management, Service Level Agreement Management, Compliance Management and Governance.
The PQR Cloud Management Schema is part of the Cloud Management whitepaper. The whitepaper is in Dutch, but is also a valuable source for non-Dutch speakers. The whitepaper is available for download here.
Want to know more about Cloud Management?
- Join Ruben Spruijt, Peter Jong and myself on the Cloud Management webinar (in Dutch), more info here. The title for the webinar is: “From Gatekeeper to Enabler: Cloud Management Solutions to the rescue!” – February 11th, 2013, 16:00-17:00 CET.
- Join Peter Jong and myself on the Cloud Management tech-meets-tech seminar, more info here. Peter and I will discuss both Microsoft and VMware cloud propositions, including a live demonstration of both solutions…you don’t want to miss this. Don’t forget to subscribe. March 5th, 2013, 9:30-15:00 CET.
VMware vCloud Suite Poster
On top of that, also take a look at the VMware vCloud Suite poster. The VMware vCloud Suite is the VMware proposition for cloud infrastructure & cloud management. The poster is designed to help vSphere administrators to understand which products are part of the vCloud Suite, but will also explain what the vCloud products can be used for.
The poster is approaches cloud management from a different perspective then the Cloud Management Schema, but you will surely see the connection between the poster and the schema.
Click the poster for a high quality PDF version, it’s a great source for more information on all the different products in the vCloud Suite.
What do you think of the PQR Cloud Management Schema? You can leave comments below.