Also read: VMworld 2013 San Francisco – Recap
Around VMworld 2013 a lot of vendors take the opportunity to launch a new version of their products. Veeam launched version 7 of their backup & replication flagship: Version 7 of Veeam Backup & Replication is available since mid-august.
Veeam Backup & Replication (B&R) is a popular backup & recovery solution in the world of virtualization (for both vSphere & Hyper-V) and version 7 offers some cool new features, for example:
- Built-in WAN acceleration which is allows you to store backups off-site in the most efficient way. WAN acceleration is included in the Enterprise Plus edition of B&R.
- Backup from storage snapshots (only for vSphere) is also a new innovation, currently supported on several HP based storage solutions such as StoreVirtual VSA, StoreVirtual and StoreServer. This feature is also part of the Enterprise Plus version.
- Backup & Replication V7 now also supports backup to tape…Veaam was a backup-to-disk only backup solution, but now tape support is included in version 7. Although tape backup may sound a bit old-school to some of you, it’s still used by a lot of organizations (and will probably be in the future).
- Backup and restore options for vCloud Director have been improved for version 7; metadata is backuped, and you can now restore backups directly to vCloud Director. At this point Veeam has the best integration with vCD currently available in the market.
- Another nice enhancement is the integration with the vSphere WebClient (being the primary client for your vSphere environment); Veeam offers a plugin for the WebClient for optimal integration with your vSphere enviroment.
Apart from the short list, Veeam adds some other nice options like an Explorer for Sharepoint and a Virtual Lab for replicas to test restore points. The full list of new options and the other 75+ additional enhancements are available in this Veeam V7 Backup & Replication What’s New whitepaper (worth a read).
Also take a look at this nice poster which show some nice facts & figures about Veeam Backup & Replication.
You can now download a trial of Veeam Bacup & Replication V7 via this link. I will soon update Veeam B&R which is running in my vSphere homelab and will share my experiences on this blog, so stay stuned!
I installed the trial version last wekeend in my lab. I am especially excited about tape support. It can backup straight to tape.
You need a physical (Windows) server to connect a SAS or SCSI tape streamer/library to backup your VMware environment. Connecting a SAS of SCSI Tape device to an ESXi host is not supported in vSphere 5.1. This is of course not the case for VTL.