Today VMware vSphere 5.5 and various vCloud Suite 5.5 components became available for download, after being announced at VMworld 2013 back in august. An upgrade to this new version has a significant impact to your infrastructure, so it’s always a good idea to check the interoperability. VMware ‘s Interoperability Matrix is your starting point here and now includes vSphere 5.5 and vCloud Suite 5.5 products. I noticed some interoperability challenges which are summarized in the following list:
- Notice that VMware View 5.2 is compatible with vSphere 5.5.
- SRM 5.5 is only compatible with vCenter 5.5 and not with previous versions, which means you always have to upgrade vCenter & SRM at the same time to remain operational. Of course your ESXi hosts can run a previous version of ESXi (e.g. 5.0, 5.1, vCenter 5.5 can manage these hosts), but your vCenter Server should be version 5.5. See the comments by Max below :)!
- VMware vSphere Big Data Exentions is compatible with vSphere versions 5.0 and up.
- You will need vCenter Operations Manager 5.7.2 to connect to vSphere 5.5. vCops 5.7.2 is compatible with earlier versions of vSphere and includes some bug fixes. More information in the release notes.
- VMware vCloud Director 5.5 is compatible with vSphere 5.1, 5.1 U1 and 5.5.
Important: VMware vCloud Automation Center 5.2 is currently not compatible with VMware vSphere 5.5. So it seems we have to wait for an new/upgraded version here.Probably a mistake here, VMware changed the Interoperability Matrix and vCAC 5.2 is now compatible with vSphere 5.5. Thanks to solgae for the comments.
- vCloud Networking & Security 5.5 is compatible with 5.1, 5.1 U1 and 5.5.
- vCenter Log Insight 1.0.4 (the latest version) is currently not compatible with vSphere 5.5.
Also, don’t forget database support:
- vCenter 5.5 discontinued support for IBM DB2 databases. SQL Server 2008 SP3 32 bit is also not supported anymore. For SQL Server 2008 R2 you will need SP1. Oracle 10g is not supported anymore. SQL Server 2012 is supported.
Use the Interoperability Matrix to check all the products you have available in your datacenter.