A short while ago I announced the “DR for virtual environments” comparison at WhatMatrix.com. Today it’s again time for another release; Ephraim Baron, one of the category consultants at WhatMatrix.com, published the new “Cloud Management Platforms” comparison.
Cloud Management Platforms serve as a common interface across multiple providers and technology stacks. The CMP market has been around since around 2006 but have remained a niche market until recently. As cloud consumption has taken off in the past 3 – 4 years, though, users have gained a clearer understanding of the benefits and challenges with each cloud service type and provider. Recent expansion of the CMP market has mirrored this growth. There are now many CMP providers, each with different specializations and approaches to multi-cloud management.
In this new comparison you will find solutions from vendors like CliQr, CloudBolt, Oracle, RedHat, Rightscale and VMware. In the comparison the products are evaluated according to the following categories:
- General: How the product is structured, procured, installed, and managed
- Multi-Cloud Support: The ability to manage a variety of clouds and technologies, from virtualization and private cloud to public cloud providers
- IT Automation: Features that allow IT processes to be partially or completely automated
- User Self-Service: Enablement of end-users to provision systems, environments, and/or application stacks themselves in near real-time based on templates set up and managed by IT
- Chargeback/Cost Transparency: Increased visibility into what systems cost and how those cost can be actively managed
- Governance & Security: Capabilities to ensure compliance and to safeguard information and operations
- DevOps: Features that bridge the divide between developers and IT operations
I’m personally involved in this comparison and working on the VMware vRealize Automation part. Right now the information provided around vRealize Automation is in draft, expect some improvements soon!