In November last year I published article on an scripted installation of Tanzu Application Platform (TAP). This article is based on TAP 1.3, and uses scripts that I published on GitHub.
With the recent release of TAP 1.4, it was time to re-evaluate my scripts and make them ready to deploy TAP 1.4 as well.
In this article I will share the updates to the scripts, and how you can use the scripts to either deploy TAP 1.3 or 1.4. The basic deployment process remains the same, so please refer to my previous article to learn more about the steps to take. Note that the scripts only support a new installation of TAP and are not intended for upgrades.
To be able to deploy both TAP 1.3 and 1.4, I’ve parameterized some additional settings. You can find the settings in my 00-set-environment-variables.sh file:
# --------------------- Version specific TAP installation parameters below here --------------------- # # Either 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.3.4 or 1.4.0 # # Parameters for TAP 1.4 are configured # export TAP_VERSION=1.4.0 # Tanzu CLI TAR file - you have to download this file from https://network.tanzu.vmware.com/ # 1.3.x: tanzu-framework-darwin-amd64.tar # 1.4.0: tanzu-framework-darwin-amd64-v0.25.4.1.tar # export TANZU_CLI_FILE=tanzu-framework-darwin-amd64-v0.25.4.1.tar # Tanzu CLI version - you have to download this file from https://network.tanzu.vmware.com/ # 1.3.x: v0.25.0 # 1.4.x: v0.25.4 # export TANZU_CLI_VERSION=v0.25.4 # Cluster essentials file - you have to download this file from https://network.tanzu.vmware.com/ # 1.3.x: tanzu-framework-darwin-amd64.tar # 1.4.0: tanzu-framework-darwin-amd64-v0.25.4.1.tar # export TANZU_CLUSTER_ESSENTIALS_FILE=tanzu-cluster-essentials-darwin-amd64-1.4.0.tgz # Cluster essentials install bundle - this file is available on registry.tanzu.vmware.com # 1.3.x: registry.tanzu.vmware.com/tanzu-cluster-essentials/cluster-essentials-bundle@sha256:54bf611711923dccd7c7f10603c846782b90644d48f1cb570b43a082d18e23b9 # 1.4.0: registry.tanzu.vmware.com/tanzu-cluster-essentials/cluster-essentials-bundle@sha256:5fd527dda8af0e4c25c427e5659559a2ff9b283f6655a335ae08357ff63b8e7f # export TANZU_CLUSTER_ESSENTIALS_INSTALL_BUNDLE=registry.tanzu.vmware.com/tanzu-cluster-essentials/cluster-essentials-bundle@sha256:5fd527dda8af0e4c25c427e5659559a2ff9b283f6655a335ae08357ff63b8e7f
I recommend to open and evaluate the settings in the file on Github. You have to configure these parameters to either deploy TAP 1.3 or TAP 1.4. Remember you need to source this file before you can run the other scripts.
The remaining part of the installation procedure for TAP 1.4 is almost identical when compared to 1.3. There are some change though:
- You will need Kubernetes v1.23 or higher to deploy TAP 1.4.
- You have to accept the TAP 1.4 & Cluster Essentials EULA, and download the 1.4 version of Tanzu CLI and Tanzu Essentials
- Sign in to Tanzu Network.
- Accept Tanzu Application Platform 1.4 EULA
- Accept Cluster Essentials for VMware Tanzu EULA
- Download version 1.4.0 of the Tanzu CLI
- Download version 1.4.0 of Cluster Essentials
- Install the latest versions of Tanzu CLI and Tanzu Cluster Essentials (only for TKGs and non-TKG Kubernetes distributions).
- The way the developer namespace(s) are configured has improved. Although the legacy way of configuring a namespace is still possible (using script 08-configure-namespaces.sh), the new preferred way is using the Namespace Provisioner Controller. More information on this here. This new method has not yet been incorporated in my scripts.
I hope this was helpful and will help you deploying a (demo/test) TAP environment.